Assistant Director of Strength and Conditioning
The University of Mary invites applications for a full-time Assistant Director of Strength and Conditioning. This is a grant-funded position and the hired employee must identify as an ethnic minority and/or a woman. For the purposes of the grant, racial ethnic minorities are described pursuant to the Federal guidelines of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB): American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, or Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to providing and coordinating a high level of strength and conditioning services to University of Mary student-athletes to include oversight of the development of sport-specific conditioning programs for assigned teams that are scientifically-based, involve periodized/cycled regimen of exercises and drills to optimize strength, power, flexibility, mobility, agility, speed and/or work capacity-designed to enhance sport performance and decrease injury potential.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for teaching proper and safe weight lifting techniques and encouraging and motivating student-athletes to train and perform to their utmost potential. The successful candidate will be expected to engage in effective written and oral communication with members of the strength and conditioning staff, coaching staff, athletic administration, and sports medicine staff and contribute to a team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements and exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the Strength and Conditioning Department.
Other duties and responsibilities include participation in strength and conditioning staff meetings as part of an overall performance philosophy and mindset within University of Mary athletics. Collect and utilize subjective and objective measures in making data driven decisions of athlete preparedness and training response, assist in scheduling athletic teams and supervising workouts of student-athletes, player development, maintain compliance with NCAA, NSIC and University of Mary regulations and assisting in the implementation of rehabilitation programs prescribed by the doctors and sports medicine staff. Some weekend and holiday work will be required based on specific sport seasons and team travel schedules. This position requires occasional heavy lifting and the performance of strength and conditioning exercises
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Development, implementation and monitoring of sport specific strength training programs and sport specific speed, agility and conditioning programs for teams and individual athletes
- Ability to communicate and work in partnership with administration, coaching staff and athletic training staff to provide an integrated program of injury prevention, performance training and nutritional planning
- Coordinate training facilities, maintenance of equipment and monitoring of budget
- Oversee and monitor, when possible, weight room and safe lifting techniques of student-athletes
- Develop and implement summer programs designed to increase student-athletes’ performances
- Knowledge of NCAA Division II and Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference rules including recruiting and eligibility
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Physiology, Sport Science, or a related field; CSCCa/SCCC certification and/or NCSA/CSCS certification; CPR and AED certified required
- Master’s degree, FMS certification and USA weightlifting certification preferred
- Must identify as an ethnic minority and/or a woman
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience training student-athletes at the collegiate level required
- 3-5 years of experience and 2-3 years of NCAA Division I experience preferred
- . Knowledge of High Performance/Olympic development model, previous experience working in a high performance unit and strong experience with Excel, data collection and monitoring preferred
- Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
- Promotes the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities.
- Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Athletics Office and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ.
The University of Mary overlooks the beautiful Missouri river and is located in Bismarck, North Dakota, a community of approximately 80,000 people, with wonderful family and parish life, friendly neighborhoods, enjoyable recreational and cultural facilities, a low crime rate, clean air, and excellent schools. The University of Mary, with an enrollment of over 3,000 students, is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
We welcome your interest in joining the University of Mary. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter that addresses the candidate’s commitment to supporting the mission of the University of Mary and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to University of Mary, Attn: Human Resources, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504. Emailed applications preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer