First-Year Experience Graduate Assistant
The Graduate Assistant for First-Year and Transition Experience provides direct services for new and transfer students at the university by assisting them with the process of making a successful transition to the university.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Assist with the curriculum development, class preparation, teaching, and grading for one section of HUM 122 Freshman Seminar, and one section of HUM 322 Transition Seminar
- Be available to students by appointment if necessary
- Assist with the coordination and attendance of HUM 122 Lab – President’s Seminar (evening hours)
- Support the planning and participate in events for HUM 122 and HUM 322 students
- Contribution to Academic Warning and Retention projects as assigned
- Provide support during student orientation events
- Other duties as assigned by Assistant Director of the Student Success Center
This position also includes:
- Graduate Tuition
- A stipend is provided
- A partial meal plan is provided
- Must meet eligibility requirements for admission to Graduate Studies at the University of Mary
- Must support higher education in a Benedictine tradition
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Bachelor’s Degree in an education related field or currently enrolled in a program of study within the Liffrig Family School School of Education & Behavioral Studies preferred
- Prior experience in teaching or providing student support services is highly preferred
- Knowledge of the developmental needs of students, best practices in working with student who are at risk for attrition is also preferred
- Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
- Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities.
- Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the office of Academic Affairs and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ.
Knowledge and Skills Required Include:
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, including effective presentations to groups, professional reports and other communications using Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher as well as the ability to use computers, projectors, and other electronic tools
- Ability to maintain a clean and organized professional work environment
- Ability to prioritize work load, perform work duties independently, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively and collaborate with a variety of persons including students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Ability to work effectively with students from diverse cultures and backgrounds, students who have a disability, nontraditional students and other at-risk students
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link:https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
We welcome your interest in joining the University of Mary. To apply, email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com or mail to University of Mary, Attn: Human Resources, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504.
Equal Opportunity Employer