Graduate Assistant – Athletic Training Position – University of Mary /Sanford Health
The University of Mary Department of Athletic Training and Sanford Health Bismarck invite applications for a GA athletic training opportunity. There are positions with each entity listed above. The successful candidate needs to be a Certified Athletic Trainer through the BOC and licensed in the state of ND and in good standing. The applicant should excel in teaching at the undergraduate level and possess the ability to complete athletic training activities at Sanford while maintaining an active research agenda. The candidate will assist with competency testing for the undergraduate athletic training students and assist with faculty with lab courses in the undergraduate athletic training program. The candidate will perform the athletic training services within Sanford facilities, outside community venues, and for other contracted organizations and events. Preference will be given to the candidate who completed the requirements. The GAs are expected to demonstrate a willingness to support the mission of Christian, Catholic, and Benedictine mission and identity of the University of Mary (see www.umary.edu/about/mission/missionidentity.php) as well as Sanford Health’s mission, vision, and core values. (See http://www.sanfordhealth.org/About)
Other responsibilities and objectives required with this GA position will include:
- Provide prevention, recognition, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.
- Utilize appropriate, sound and up-to-date clinical techniques and best practices to effectively assess and treat athletic injuries.
- Maintain a code of conduct in keeping with the Benedictine values, the institutional goals of the University of Mary, the Standards of Professional Practice and the guidelines established by the NATA Code of Ethics.
- Will be a positive and identifiable ambassador of Sanford Health during contracted work times and throughout the school year.
- Assist with clinical education, instruction, and supervision of athletic training students.
- Assist with athletic training practical’s, competencies, and/or research projects as assigned.
- Provide patient and community education in the areas of sports injury prevention and care
- Support and deliver Sports Medicine Outreach services throughout south-central North Dakota
This position includes:
- The employment is for one calendar year, however, he or she can be rehired for an additional year
- Graduate Tuition – a total of 38 credits can be reimbursed (19 credits per year)
- A minimum of 20 hours per week of work is required
- A stipend is provided
The University of Mary overlooks the beautiful Missouri river and is located in Bismarck, North Dakota, a community of approximately 80,000 people, with wonderful family and parish life, friendly neighborhoods, enjoyable recreational and cultural facilities, a low crime rate, clean air, and excellent schools. The University of Mary, with an enrollment of over 3000 students, is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. The Athletic Training Program is CAATE accredited in good standing.
Sanford Health is an integrated health system headquartered in the Dakotas and is now the largest, rural, not-for-profit health care system in the nation with locations in 126 communities in nine states. In addition, Sanford Health is in the process of developing international clinics in Ghana, Israel and Mexico. Sanford Health includes 39 hospitals, 140 clinic locations and 1,360 physicians in 81 specialty areas of medicine. With more than 26,000 employees, Sanford Health is the largest employer in North and South Dakota. The system is experiencing dynamic growth and development in conjunction with Denny Sanford’s nearly $700 million in gifts, the largest ever to a health care organization in America. These gifts are making possible the implementation of several initiatives including global children’s clinics, multiple research centers and finding cures for type 1 diabetes and breast cancer. For more information, please visit sanfordhealth.org.
There are 2 positions open for fall 2017.
Equal Opportunity Employer