Residence Director – Women’s Hall
The University of Mary is accepting applications to fill a Resident Director position for a women’s residence hall.
Residing in an apartment located within a women’s residence hall, a Residence Director provides dynamic leadership for development and successful implementation of a unique residence life program designed to address the formative needs of freshman women as a part of the University of Mary’s Education for the Whole of Life student experience. As servant leader, teacher and mentor, the Residence Director actively engages the residents in building a student community within the hall marked with the good zeal that Saint Benedict tells us will be created within a community where members are committed to be the first to show respect to the other. As part of the university’s first-year experience the Residence Director works in close collaboration with other departments and programs at the university to maintain a culture within the residence hall that is welcoming for new students to the university and provides encouragement and support for residents to form friendships, to learn (in and outside the classroom), to grow in one’s faith, to avoid negative and destructive activities, to become involved in campus life and to serve others.
Required qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree or the ability to complete a bachelor’s degree within one year of hire is required
- A master’s degree is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates whose bachelor’s and/or master’s degree programs provide a substantial background to understand the student development and formative needs of university students (e.g. Theology, Philosophy, Student Affairs/Services, Higher Education Leadership, Education ,Behavioral Sciences)
- A minimum of 1-2 years of residence life or other student life experience closely related to residence life is required. Experience as an undergraduate student may be counted (e.g. employment as a student resident assistant would be counted toward this requirement)
- Candidates who have an understanding of the developmental and formative needs of university students especially as it relates to a residence life program at a university that is Christian, Catholic, and Benedictine is strongly preferred
- Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
- Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities.
- Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in Residence Life and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- The ability to serve as an effective leader, role model and mentor
- The ability to communicate effectively, to prepare professional reports and documentation, maintain appropriate budget records, and make professional presentations using computers, projectors and other electronic tools
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software applications
- The ability to recruit, train, direct and supervise student employees
- S/He must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage, and relate effectively with students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and administrators as a part of the university community
Equal Opportunity Employer